Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Birth Plan

It is kind of a misnomer to have a birth plan. How do you plan for the unknown? I don't think that you can even if you want to. I think the birthplan may be just a way to make you feel like you can control the uncontrollable and possibly, I will look upon the idyllic plan and laugh once I have actually been though the experience. But, to at least give myself an idea of what the unexpected may bring...here is my draft birthplan:

General Requests

No students/interns (other than midwifery students) present during labour and delivery.Low lighting in the room

No labour, overdue and plans regarding induction
I wish to go into labour spontaneously. If I go overdue I would like to be at least 14 days after my due date before being induced (unless there are problems). I would prefer Prostin gel for induction and to labour in the birth centre after this.

Prelabour and interventions
Encourage as much rest as possible

Early 1st phase and interventions
create a safe, supportive environment (candles, music, aromatherapy, movies, tea.)

Active 1st phase and interventions
Contact midwives Shannon and Agnes
Use Thermaphore for moist heat pain relief Low back/abdomen)
Remind me to use the bathroom and take fluids
Massage
Ice/cold packs for pain relief
Encourage me to change positions every 15 minutes or so.

Transition and 2nd Stage and interventions
The amniotic sac will not be artificially ruptured, unless medically necessary.
Perineum guarding with warm compress to prevent tearing
Suggest touching the baby’s head when crowning to get me through the last pushes
To allow the umbilical cord to finish pulsing before it is cut, unless it must be cut to complete the birth of the baby.

3rd Stage and interventions
To breast feed as soon as possible
Delivery of the placenta is not to be rushed, but is to proceed at its own pace. The use of oxytocic drugs and manual removal of the placenta is to be reserved for true medical emergencies

Pain relief/comfort options

Please do not offer an epidural – I will ask if I need it.
Thermaphore – moist heat
Hot Shower with partner for support
Warm Bath
Massage
Breathing
Birthing ball


What if a Caesarean is needed or planned for?
Would like baby to have skin to skin contact after removal if possible and to begin breastfeeding as soon as possible. Do not want baby to be bottle fed if possible.

Going home
Would like to take the first couple of days to get acquainted with baby before taking visitors.


Your baby at the birth and plan if needing intensive care or transfer


Feeding and care in the postnatal period

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey,
There ain't nothing wrong with having a plan, sista! You never know how things will go, and it's good to give these things some thought beforehand. Your midwives will be able to advocate on your behalf. Mind you, you might not care about some of these things when the time comes, but then again, things could go really well.
Kudos to you for planning!
-Becca