Friday, May 06, 2005

Preparing for Birth

How does someone prepare for birth? Is it as simple as doing your kegels and leading an active pregnancy? Or, like a marathon, do you have to prepare mentally..."it's all mental". I am not a mentally strong person - I don't "power" through the tough spots...I rest. When it hurts...I stop. If I am too tired... I sleep. How will a gal like me make it through one of the toughest things I can imagine? YOu can't stop it, you can't rest and sleep...well when it's over you can sleep -but not too much.

I have been slowly building the "birthing team", which, to this point, includes my husband and my best friend. While they cannot help do it for me - maybe they will be able to get me through it. I am also considering bringing a doula into the picture - I need to feel that someone in the room knows what's happening and can know what needs to be done to make it better. I am really not sure how hubby will cope in crisis - and finding out at the last minute...isn't a bargain I am willing to wager.

I am practicing meditation with an ocean waves CD. Hoping the perpetual sound wll help me move through the pain and focus outside myself when the time comes. I just keep thinking..this is going to be excrutiating. I am glad that I know that it is a little girl. I will focus on her... bringing her into the world.

God it's going to be like a car accident...thinking of the the word vagina, 10 inches dilation, tearing and swelling...well doesn't paint an encouraging picture. And it is a mystery...you never hear anybody really talk about how they were literally blown apart by the birthing experience... although some have used the word "hell" to describe it.

So I am preparing for a mystery...and I guess I won't know till I get there.

No comments: