Thursday, July 28, 2005

Birth Story - Part 2 Before she arrives


Moments before she arrives
Originally uploaded by Viva.
The midwife (Claudia) arrived at 5:30 AM. My labor had been progressing well and at that time I was 4 cm dilated. I was so worried that after the many hours of laboring that she would tell me there was a long way to go.

Before she left, she told me that I could do this- just take it one contraction at a time. She really gave me the strength to carry on, so back into the pool I went.

By 10 AM I was 8 cm dilated and because I was so tired, the midwife suggested that we break the waters to move the labor forward. I agreed, but reluctantly. At that point the contractions were so intense that I didn't want to leave the birthing pool for fear gravity would intensify the pain. But, in between contractions I moved to the bed where they broke the waters and then there was a warm gush, but no real intensification of the pain. I moved back into the tub and now the show was about to get on the road - 10 cm was not far now.

No comments: